Many email marketers spend a lot of time preparing the perfect email campaign and focus on open rates and clickthrough rates to measure success. But what about your deliverability rate? Are your messages actually reaching your intended recipients?
Inboxing is a challenge that many marketers struggle with, and it is this issue that email deliverability tools solve. They offer an indispensable arsenal for businesses and marketers to optimize their email campaigns and guarantee that their messages land in inboxes and not spam folders.
Using these tools will elevate your inboxing skills and give you superb insight into content creation for email campaigns. Join us as we explore what email deliverability tools are, what essential features to seek in one, and the crucial role a strong sender reputation plays.
Table of Contents
- Email Deliverability Explained
- What are Email Deliverability Tools?
- Do You Need Email Deliverability Tools?
- Spam Filters: The Deliverability Challenge
- Spam Filters vs. Email Marketers
- Email Deliverability and Sender Reputation: Two Peas In a Pod
- How to Improve Your Email Deliverability
- How to Check Your Email Deliverability: Email Testing
- Choosing a Good Email Testing Tool
- Email Deliverability Tool: Picking the Right One
- 5 Popular Email Deliverability Tools
- Campaign Refinery Versus the Competition
- Campaign Refinery: A Platform Built for Max Deliverability
- The Inbox Formula: Decades of Industry Experience Packed Into One Book
Email Deliverability Explained
Email deliverability is the ability of an email message to successfully reach your subscribers’ inbox without being flagged as spam (or landing in a junk or other email folder). It is probably the most critical aspect of email marketing, as the primary goal of sending emails is to ensure the message actually reaches the intended recipient before they can read it.
Let’s understand the main factors that impact email deliverability:
- Email sender reputation: Your sender reputation — which includes your domain and IP reputation — plays a significant role in email deliverability. ESPs and ISPs assess it to determine whether your email should be delivered to the inbox or filtered as spam.
- Authentication protocols: Implementing authentication protocols like SPF (Sender Policy Framework), DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail), and DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance) can help verify your authenticity and reduce incidents of email spoofing.
- Content and engagement: The content and engagement of your email matters. Irrelevant, poorly formatted, or excessively promotional content can trigger spam filters.
- Your list quality: Maintaining a clean and engaged email list is crucial. Besides cleaning your lists, you should segment them and use segmentation strategies that can help make your emails more relevant to subscribers, translating to better engagement, which then gets you better deliverability.
- Spam complaints: High numbers of recipients marking your emails as spam can negatively impact your sender reputation and email deliverability. It’s important to provide clear opt-in and opt-out options and honor unsubscribe requests promptly.
- Bounce rates: A high rate of bounced emails, whether due to invalid email addresses or other issues, can affect your deliverability in the future.
- Frequency and consistency: Sending emails too frequently or inconsistently can lead to deliverability problems. Spread it out and be patient!
- Compliance: Adhering to email marketing regulations, such as CAN-SPAM in the United States or GDPR in Europe, is essential for email deliverability. As a bonus, it helps build trust with your subscribers.
To maintain good email deliverability, you need to monitor and improve these factors, stay informed about industry best practices and changes in email technology, and use email deliverability tools.
What are Email Deliverability Tools?
Email deliverability tools are software applications or services that help email marketers and senders optimize their email campaigns to ensure their messages are successfully delivered to recipients’ inboxes. These tools provide a range of features to improve the chances of emails being delivered and opened while avoiding being classified as spam.
Here are several common functions of email deliverability tools:
- Email testing: Deliverability tools also offer built-in email testing. This allows you to test your emails and identify and address any issues.
- Spam testing: These tools assess email content to determine the likelihood of an email being flagged as spam by email filters and provide suggestions to reduce the spam score.
- Deliverability monitoring: They track your email deliverability rates over time, offering you excellent insight into which emails land in the inbox and which end up as spam.
- Authentication: Email deliverability tools often analyze authentication protocols like SPF, DKIM, and DMARC to verify your identity and ensure proper authentication setup.
- Sender reputation monitoring: Some tools offer sender reputation monitoring, helping you understand your reputation with ESPs. For example, we will shortly include Google Postmaster Tools directly into the Campaign Refinery dashboard so our clients get insight into their sender score with the Gmail subscribers on their lists.
- List quality checks: They assist in maintaining a clean and engaged email list by identifying and removing invalid or unengaged email addresses. At Campaign Refinery, our clients enjoy the benefits of the list-cleaning feature, which automatically removes invalid emails, inactive emails, spam traps, and dormant email IDs.
- Inbox placement testing: Certain tools provide insights into where emails land, whether in the inbox, spam folder, or another email folder, helping senders understand how emails are filtered.
- Compliance: They assist senders in complying with email marketing regulations and standards, such as CAN-SPAM and GDPR, to avoid legal issues and improve deliverability.
- Email analytics: Many tools provide detailed analytics and reporting on email performance, including open rates, click-through rates, and other stats, helping senders make data-driven decisions.
Email deliverability tools are invaluable for email marketers seeking to maintain high deliverability rates — navigating the world of email marketing gets a whole lot easier with such aids! Below, we explain how.
Do You Need Email Deliverability Tools?
Email deliverability tools can be highly beneficial for organizations, businesses, and email marketers, but whether you need them depends on the size of your email marketing efforts, your goals, and your level of expertise.
Here are the biggest reasons to use email deliverability tools:
- Your outgoing email volume is high.
- You are concerned about sender reputation — deliverability tools can assist in diagnosing problems.
- You want to run complex email campaigns with A/B testing, personalized content, and multiple segments.
- You struggle with maintaining email lists, including identifying and removing inactive or invalid email addresses. In such scenarios, deliverability tools can automate and streamline these processes.
- You want to know where your emails are landing (inbox, spam folder, etc.).
- You want to adopt best practices. These tools continually remind you about best practices until they become second nature.
If your email marketing efforts are relatively small and straightforward, you might not need sophisticated email deliverability tools. However, as your email campaigns become more complex, email deliverability becomes more vital.
Spam Filters: The Deliverability Challenge
Do you know what big obstacle stands in the way of you successfully communicating with thousands of leads and potential customers? Spam filters.
Spam filters are software or algorithms ESPs employ to automatically identify and divert unsolicited email messages, known as spam, away from a user’s inbox. These filters evaluate various attributes of incoming emails, including sender reputation, email content quality, sender authentication (SPF, DKIM, DMARC), and recipient behavior.
By using a combination of pattern recognition and machine learning techniques, spam filters assign a spam score to each email. If this score exceeds a certain threshold, it is classified as spam and directed to the spam folder or blocked altogether, ensuring legitimate emails make it to the inbox. In contrast, unwanted or potentially harmful emails are filtered out.
Spam Filters vs. Email Marketers
While spam filters pose a challenge, there is no need to view them as the enemy. On the contrary, they’re your friends! Think of them as a necessary measure, keeping away millions of low-quality spammy emails that would further reduce the chances of you being able to communicate with your customer.
On the plus side, spam filters ensure you keep your content relevant, maintain a high level of quality, and apply best practices. This, in turn, is fantastic for your engagement statistics, making it a win all around.
Below, we have listed the different challenges you face as a sender when tackling spam filters:
- False positives: Spam filters are designed to be cautious and may sometimes flag legitimate marketing emails as spam. For example, the use of blacklisted phrases or excessive/incorrect use of HTML can cause filters to incorrectly mark your messages as spam.
- Content restrictions: Spam filters analyze the content of emails for spammy elements. This can limit creative freedom in email marketing and make it challenging to craft engaging content.
- Image-to-text ratio: Excessive use of images with little text can trigger spam filters.
- Link tracking: Links in marketing emails, especially short or redirected links, can raise suspicion for spam filters. Marketers often use link tracking to gather analytics, but this can be a trigger for spam filters.
- Sending frequency: Sending emails too frequently to the same recipients can lead to unsubscribes and spam complaints.
- Authentication: Spam filters consider your authentication protocols (SPF, DKIM, DMARC) before they let your emails through.
- Engagement: Filters may track recipient interactions with emails, such as open rates and click-through rates. Low engagement can signal to spam filters that recipients find your emails irrelevant.
- Regulatory compliance: Compliance with email marketing regulations (e.g., CAN-SPAM, GDPR) is essential. Violating these regulations can trigger spam filters.
- Adapting to spam filter changes: Spam filter algorithms constantly evolve to catch new spam tactics. Email marketers need to stay up-to-date with these changes and adapt their practices accordingly.
As the first step to overcoming these spam filters, email marketers need to focus on maintaining a positive sender reputation, as this greatly influences deliverability. Let’s examine this relationship in the next section.
Email Deliverability and Sender Reputation: Two Peas In a Pod
Of the various factors affecting email deliverability, sender reputation plays the most pivotal role. It directly impacts whether your email messages land in the recipient’s inbox or get kicked into spam folders.
Let’s look at some of the advantages of having an excellent sender reputation:
- High deliverability: The most obvious benefit first — a positive sender reputation greatly increases the likelihood that your emails will be delivered to the recipient’s inbox. ESPs and spam filters will give your emails priority, as they are less likely to be spam or unwanted.
- Avoiding spam filters: A good sender reputation helps your emails avoid being flagged as spam. When your score is high, spam filters are less likely to scrutinize your emails with suspicion, reducing the chances of false positives.
- Improved open and click-through rates: If your emails land in the inbox, they are more likely to be opened and engaged with, leading to better open rates and click-through rates. This, in turn, contributes to better campaign success.
- Consistent engagement: A positive sender reputation will encourage consistent engagement from your subscribers. As recipients continue to open, read, and interact with your emails, your reputation further improves.
Positive sender reputation is a fundamental element in achieving high email deliverability. It builds trust with ESPs and their spam filters, leading to more of your emails reaching the recipient’s inbox, resulting in improved open and click-through rates, and ultimately increasing the effectiveness of your email marketing efforts.
Poor sender reputation can lead to lower deliverability, making it essential for email marketers to prioritize best practices for maintaining a strong standing. Now that we’re clear on sender reputation, let’s get cracking on enhancing your email deliverability!
How to Improve Your Email Deliverability
At Campaign Refinery, we love email best practices. We built this email platform keeping deliverability in mind; it’s one of our best features, besides our incredible engagement rates.
As the experts on email deliverability, here are must-do guidelines to follow if you want to improve your inboxing rate.
- Maintain a clean email list: Regularly clean your email list by removing inactive and invalid email addresses. Implement a double opt-in process to ensure subscribers’ interest and accuracy of email addresses.
- Segment your lists: Segment your email list based on recipient preferences, behavior, or demographics. Send targeted and relevant content to specific segments.
- Implement authentication protocols: Adding SPF, DKIM, and DMARC to authenticate your email domain validates your identity before ESPs.
- Quality content: Create valuable, relevant, and engaging email content that recipients want to open and read. Focus on content and design excellence to avoid spam triggers.
- Maintain consistency: Be consistent in your sending frequency and timing to establish familiarity and trust with recipients.
- Feedback loops are your friend: Set up feedback loops with ESPs to receive notifications when recipients mark your emails as spam. Remove such recipients from your list promptly.
- Check for blacklisting: Regularly check whether your IP address or domain is listed on email blacklists. If listed, follow delisting procedures.
- Engagement tracking: Track recipient engagement metrics like open rates and click-through rates. Remove or re-engage inactive subscribers.
- Regulatory compliance: Comply with email marketing regulations and laws, such as CAN-SPAM or GDPR.
- Test extensively: Use email testing tools to test and preview how your emails will appear on various devices and email clients.
- Warm-up new IP addresses: If you’re sending emails from a new IP address, gradually increase your sending volume to establish a positive reputation.
- Monitor your deliverability: Regularly monitor your email deliverability rates to identify and address any issues proactively.
- Monitor your sender reputation: Prioritize ethical email practices and maintain a strong sender reputation with ESPs.
- Provide unsubscribe options: Make it easy for recipients to unsubscribe from your emails, and promptly honor such requests!
Regular monitoring and testing, along with these best practices, will help you maintain high email deliverability rates and effectively reach your audience.
How to Check Your Email Deliverability: Email Testing
Now that we’re on the same page about the importance of email deliverability, how do you know what your deliverability rates are? Using email testing tools or email deliverability test tools, you can get a clear idea about your inboxing success.
An email testing tool is a software application or online service designed to help users test and optimize their email marketing campaigns, transactional emails, and other types of email communications. These tools are typically used by businesses, marketers, and email developers to ensure their emails are delivered successfully, appear correctly on various email clients and devices, and comply with email marketing best practices.
Features and Functionalities Of Email Testing Tools
Let’s study the features offered by email testing tools.
- Rendering: Email testing tools allow you to preview how an email will appear on different email clients and devices. They help ensure the email design, images, and formatting of your emails are consistent across various platforms.
- Spam warnings: These tools can tell you if your email is likely to be classified as spam and provide recommendations to reduce the chances of being flagged as spam.
- Deliverability: They evaluate the deliverability of your emails by assessing aspects like sender reputation, SPF/DKIM/DMARC authentication, and other elements that impact email deliverability.
- Links and image testing: These tools can check the links and images in your emails to make sure they are working correctly.
- Content testing: Some email testing tools offer A/B testing for subject lines and email content to determine which variations are most effective at maximizing engagement.
- Accessibility: Some tools even check for email accessibility, ensuring that emails are readable and usable for people with disabilities.
- Compliance: They help ensure your emails comply with email marketing regulations, such as CAN-SPAM and GDPR.
Email testing tools are valuable for maintaining the quality and effectiveness of your marketing campaigns and help you fine-tune your emails for maximum conversions.
Choosing a Good Email Testing Tool
Here are a few factors to keep in mind as you shortlist your email tool.
We tell you what to look out for and why.
- Simple UI: This is the first thing you should look for in a good tool, and it can be a dealbreaker. Your tool should have a UI you are able to understand and operate easily.
- Integrations: Support for various third-party tools is important. For example, you want this testing tool to work well with list management tools and sending tools.
- Excellent analytics: This is the most important part of your email testing tool — what it tells you once the test is over. You should be able to view all possible metrics of your test and gain valuable insight.
- Scalability: As you get better results from campaigns and your work scales up, you need a testing tool that scales proportionately.
- Optimization suggestions: What good is a tool that won’t tell you how to fix your issues? There are many testing tools that will give you great suggestions for preventing delivery or deliverability shortcomings.
With these guidelines in mind, go through the numerous testing tools available in the market today until you find one that best suits your requirements.
Email Deliverability Tool: Picking the Right One
So your testing tool has confirmed that you require assistance with your deliverability issues. Time to shop for a tool! But things can get tricky when you shortlist a bunch — on the surface, they can all seem similar.
But here’s a quick guide to help you narrow down the list and pick the best one.
- It fits your budget: You wouldn’t hire an 18-wheeler freight train to drive to work, would you? Pick a deliverability tool that is budget-friendly and yet offers excellent results. At Campaign Refinery, we kept this in mind while creating our tiers, with the base plan starting at just $99 per month. As your business grows, you can also upgrade your plan.
- Enforces best practices: In the long run, teaming up with an email deliverability service that indulges in shady practices can affect your sender reputation as well as your actual reputation. This is why we are extra careful about who we onboard at Campaign Refinery. We only work with the best email marketers, and the outcome is stellar — at a 76.37% open rate and a 72.76% click rate, our engagement is through the roof!
- Puts your sender reputation above all else: As we mentioned earlier, strong sender reputation ensures strong deliverability rates. A good email platform will offer tools to help you monitor and improve your sender reputation. At Campaign Refinery, we greatly value sender reputation — so much that we built our platform around the concept!
- Prioritizes compliance and authentication: Compliance with emailing regulations and following security protocols is a must for great deliverability. This is exactly why we insist our customers implement SPF, DKIM, and DMARC protocols on their domains.
- Strong analytics suite: Analytics lets you know what your customers think of you. It is your compass, and we built one heck of a compass for our clients! Our analytical tools will let you make data-driven decisions with confidence.
- Automation features: Simple yet powerful automation can make email marketing a breeze. That’s why we ensured Campaign Refinery has the best email sequence editor, to make life easier for our clients.
There are plenty of deliverability tools that promise you everything under the sun but yield weak results. Do your research before you drop your hard-earned money on a tool!
5 Popular Email Deliverability Tools
If you want to be with the best email services platform on the internet, Campaign Refinery is the correct answer. However, there are a few popular options we can discuss here, along with their pros and cons.
|MailTester||– Easy to use and navigate|
– Provides comprehensive results on the deliverability of your emails
|– Not as accurate as some other email deliverability testing tools|
– Can be time-consuming to test large lists of email addresses
|Folderly||– Comprehensive all-in-one email deliverability platform|
– Good customer support
|– Can be expensive for small businesses|
– Some users have reported issues with the accuracy of the reports
|Mailshake||– Affordable email deliverability and sales engagement platform|
– Offers a range of features, including email warm-up services and comprehensive analytics
|– Some users have reported issues with the reliability of the email warm-up service|
– Limited features for email deliverability monitoring and analysis
|GlockApps||– Affordable and easy-to-use email deliverability tool|
– Offers a range of features, including email spam testing, reputation monitoring, and blacklisting alerts
|– Limited features for email content analysis and inbox placement testing|
– Reports can be difficult to interpret
|MailReach||– Provides detailed reports and insights|
– Good customer support
|– Limited features for email content analysis and warm-up services|
– Reports can be difficult to interpret
|Campaign Refinery||– Tested and tried integrated policies that ensure maximum deliverability|
– A range of unique features such as gamification, automatic list cleaning, and evergreen flash sales to get the client’s engagement rates to peak
– Constant expert support
– Clean UI and easy navigation
– Practical Campaign Library
– Best deliverability results on the market, fast.
|– We are exclusive! You must apply to become a client. If you make it, sky is the limit.|
As you can see, different deliverability tools have their own strengths and weaknesses. It is up to you to decide which combination works best for you.
Campaign Refinery Versus the Competition
Here’s a table where we compare the features of the above email deliverability tools against our platform.
|Price per month (Base)||$99||$39||$120||$58||$85||$25|
|Automated list cleaning||✅||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|Evergreen flash sales||✅||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌|
|SPF, DKIM, DMARC monitoring||✅||✅||✅||✅||Only DMARC||✅|
At Campaign Refinery, our goal is to not just offer quantity, but quality. We pride ourselves on offering value and delivering on every single promise we make to our customers. And they love us for it!
Check out these testimonials:
“We struggled for years to make email work for our sales team. Campaign Refinery powered our email from $0 to $3.6m in the first 12 months.”Cale Own, GymLaunch
“An amazing platform! I love that I’m basically guaranteed to inbox. In fact, not inboxing is a thing of the past.”Stefan Ciacncio, Webinarkit
Inboxing is our specialty, and if you want to achieve rates of deliverability that you have only dreamed of, you should apply to be a client today.
Campaign Refinery: A Platform Built for Max Deliverability
At Campaign Refinery, we understand that effective email marketing begins with exceptional deliverability. Our platform is designed to ensure your messages reach the right inboxes every time.
With a dedicated commitment to maximizing email deliverability, here’s how we achieve this goal:
- Sender reputation management: We understand the value of a strong sender reputation. At Campaign Refinery, you get insights and recommendations to help you maintain and improve your sender reputation with major email service providers, enhancing your email marketing success. We are also really excited to introduce Google Postmaster Tools to our dashboard soon, which will give you a deeper understanding of the performance of emails sent to your Gmail subscribers.
- List quality: Campaign Refinery empowers you to keep your email list clean and engaged. We offer our clients automated list-cleaning, which identifies and removes invalid and inactive email addresses, as well as spam traps. This is another way that we protect our customers’ sender reputation.
- Best practices: There’s a reason we’re the best — our standards are high. As the best, we only work with the best, which means that all email practices that we have learned over the years are shared with our clients, who then implement them.
- Authentication protocols: We make it easy to set up and maintain authentication protocols like SPF, DKIM, and DMARC to verify your identity and ensure that your emails are trusted by recipient servers.
- Compliance with regulations: We guide you in adhering to email marketing regulations, reducing the risk of legal issues, and maintaining strong deliverability.
- Customer support and expertise: With Campaign Refinery, you’re not alone. We provide dedicated customer support and expertise to assist you with any deliverability challenges and answer your questions promptly.
At Campaign Refinery, we are committed to delivering not just emails, but excellent results, too! Our focus on best-in-class email deliverability ensures the impact of your email marketing campaigns is at its best.
The Inbox Formula: Decades of Industry Experience Packed Into One Book
More than a tool, it is email best practices, a great strategy, and a top-notch email platform that assures the best deliverability rates.
You already know which email platform is best; but what about strategy and email practices?
Today, we’re gifting a FREE email deliverability tool that will help you revolutionize your email practices and strategies.
Presenting The Inbox Formula.
The Inbox Formula is a guidebook written by our founder, Travis Ketchum, and it includes all the wisdom you’d expect from an email expert who has been in this industry for decades. With this book, you will witness deliverability like never before.
Don’t wait to take your campaigns to the next level; download The Inbox Formula now!